CRAFTEVO ReTE is durable enough for normal use, and when placed in a specific type of compost undergoes hydrolysis (the loss of mass caused by disentegration and the reduction of molecular weight) from the effects of moisture, heat, and local microbes. Specifically, the metabolism of these microbes breaks down the polyester to produce water and Co2.
Stage 1 Hydrolysis
- The microbes in the compost secrete enzymes
- The enzymes, as well as the water and heat from fermentation, act on ReTE
- Hydrolysis begins, and the substance loses molecular weight
Stage 2 Biodegradation
- Low molecular weight compounds are decomposed by microbes
- H2O and CO2 are emitted by the microbe's metabolism
The Decomposition Process (YouTube)
T-shirt Decomposition Test
This is an introduction to the progression of the t-shirt decomposition test that we held from June 2018 to June 2019.